To get pain relief from sciatic nerve caused by the piriformis syndrome, do this stretching exercise of the piriformis muscle (with common sense, without forcing, without hurting you, without trying to achieve any performance).
Just feel the stretch in the buttock and back of the thigh, breathing deeply.
This exercise is a variation of this seated piriformis stretch shown in this article where we also explain what is the piriformis syndrom and why it can cause sciatic nerve pain
Sciatic nerve pain relief: piriformis muscle stretch
2. How to stretch the piriformis muscle lying down video transcript
To relieve sciatic nerve pain caused by a piriformis syndrom lying down, do this exercise, which is a variation of the stretch shown in the above video, containing detailed information on the piriformis syndrom, and why it can cause sciatic nerve pain.
Piriformis stretch Variation #1
- Start the stretch flat on your back, bring the left leg towards you and bring the left ankle, on your right knee. (If you have pain in the other leg then switch legs of course.)
- In order to feel the stretch. in the sciatic nerve, we need to lift the right leg.
Now the stretch is felt in the buttock and the back of the thigh.
- To make the stretch easier and last as long as possible, you can use a chair to rest your foot.
Now you can start increasing the intensity of the stretch by gently pushing on the left knee…hold…release…Push…Hold…Release…
Piriformis stretch Variation #2
- Bend your knee to your right,
- Hold…Release…Bend your knee to your right…Hold…And release…
- As always, use common sense when doing this stretch, don’t overdo, do not hurt yourself, take it easy just make sur you feel stretch, breathing deeply.
If you liked this video, please give it a thumbs up, hit the subscribe button en hit the notifications button, so you miss any of the next videos.
Sciatic nerve pain relief: piriformis muscle stretch video
PS: The video is in french however there are subtitles in English: be sure to enable them in the player if you don’t see them.